St. Patrick's Day Sayings Pillow
It's the luck of the Irish! This pillow is full of great sayings for St. Patrick's Day. Designed by Erin Schlosser, you can cover all the most popular St. Patrick's Day quips in one fun design! Download her embroidery design and follow the easy instructions below and you'll be lucky too!
- Any Janome Embroidery Machine (Erin uses the Horiozn Memory Craft 15000)
- Janome Embroidery Thread in Light, Medium, and Dark Green
- Janome Red Tip Needle
- Concealed Zipper Foot Z
- Zipper Foot E
- AcuFeed Flex Foot AD
- Jenny Haskins Hoop Magic Pressure Sensitive Stabilizer
- Embroidery Files - click here to download
Other Fabric and Notions Required:
- 3/4 yard linen for pillow front and back
- Cut into the following pieces:
- (1) 16" square
- (1) 18" square
- (2) 4" x 12" strips
- (2) 4" x 19" strips
- 1/8 yard coordinating print for front border accent
- Cut into the following pieces:
- (2) 1 1/4" x 10 1/2" strips
- (2) 1 1/4" x 12" strips
- (2) 20" square pieces of cotton batting or fusible fleece
- (1) 16" (or longer) invisible zipper
- (1) 18" pillow form
- Hoop the 16" linen square and stitch out embroidery design file stpattysday.jef in the center of the square. Un-hoop, remove stabilizer, and trim this square down to a 10 1/2" square.
- Stitch the shamrock.jef file in the lower right corner of the 18" linen square. (I placed mine so that the center of the shamrock was 5 1/2" from either side.)
- Place the 10 1/2" embroidered square in the center of one batting square. Place both 1 1/4" x 10 1/2" front border accent pieces facing down on either side of the embroidered square, use a 1/4" seam and stitch in place. Unfold and press lightly.
- Place and stitch the 1 1/4" x 12" front border accent pieces on the top and bottom of the embroidered square facing down. Use a 1/4" seam to stitch in place. Unfold and press lightly.
- Repeat the same process in steps 3 & 4 to attach the 4" x 12" linen strips to the sides and the 4" x 19" strips to the top and bottom. Unfold and press. Trim to a 18" square. Place the other 18" embroidered square on the remaining batting piece, baste around the edges, and trim extra batting away. Quilt these two pieces as desired.
- To mark where our zipper will be attached place the pillow front and back, right sides facing each other on the table, fold up the top piece slightly then line up the zipper along the bottom edge and center it. Measuring in 1" from either side of the zipper, make a mark on both the pillow front and back, as well as both edges of the zipper.
- Pin the right side of the unzipped zipper to the right side of your pillow front and line up the zipper teeth in the left channel of the concealed zipper foot. Stitch in place starting and ending at your markings.
- To attach the other side of the zipper to the back piece place the back fabric right side down on your front piece and fold the lower edge back slightly. Pull up the zipper side that's not attached and line up your markings. Make sure that the right side of the zipper is still facing the right side of your fabric. Pin the zipper in place.
- Line up the zipper teeth in the left channel again and stitch this side in place. After this step, zip up the zipper just to check and make sure it's all on correctly. Then unzip it halfway and leave it for the next step.
- Attach the zipper foot E to your machine and position the needle all the way to the right. You'll use this by adjusting the width of your straight stitch to be at 9. (Or 7 on a 7mm machine.) Starting where you original markings are, stitch as closely as possible to the seam used to attach the zipper the stitch to the edge.
Be sure to backstitch and finish sewing from the markings to the end of the pillow. Repeat this process for the other side of the zipper to completely finish the bottom seam of your pillow.
Double check that your zipper is still at least halfway open. Trim your zipper endings if you used a zipper longer than 16".
- Switch to your AcuFeed AD foot and make sure your needle is moved back to the center position. Pin the other 3 unsewn pillow edges right sides together. Using a 1/2" seam, stitch up the other 3 edges.
- Trim corners and turn right sides out. Stuff your pillow with the pillow form and enjoy!