Accessory of the Month – Applique Foot AP
Today we have Nancy Fiedler, one of Janome's Educators, joining us to share her tips about the AP Applique foot!
Applique is a popular way to personalize and embellish all projects: garments, quilts, crafts, tote bags. You can use any Janome machine for this technique and by using Applique Foot AP you will achieve perfect results every time.
This clear foot has short toes which give you a clearer view of the applique for precise sewing and easy maneuvering around curves and corners.
If you have a Janome machine that has a 7mm stitch width this part number would be: 202023001. A 9mm Janome machine would have a foot part number of: 202086002
- Thread Janome Blue tip needle with embroidery thread.
- Insert Janome Prewound Bobbin.
- Attach Applique foot.
- Reduce pressure on presser foot one number lower than normal setting.
Note: By reducing presser foot pressure, the fabric will slide easier as you guide the applique under the foot.
- Set machine to end needle down.
- Set machine for a satin stitch or select an applique stitch. Many Janome machines have several to choose from!
Note: Satin Stitch is created by selecting Zigzag stitch, then adjusting the width 3mm, and length .40mm. These settings can be adjusted depending on what look you're going for.
- Place stabilized fabric with applique under foot, lining up the edge of applique with right hand swing of needle.
Try out some of the many decorative stitches built into your machine. Satin stitches, like the one shown, give your appliques unique edges.
Locking Stitches Your Janome machine will automatically sew four stitches in place at the beginning of any decorative or zigzag stitch to create a lock. Simply touch the reverse button at the end, the machine will sew four stitches in place to lock, and then stop.
Create your own applique sampler!
- Draw several leaf or heart shapes on paper side of fusible web. Then following manufacturer’s directions fuse to wrong side of fabric.
- Cut out shapes and fuse to contrast fabric.
- Applique each shape with different applique stitches.
Use this sampler to test and choose the perfect stitch for your applique projects.
Thanks Nancy! Looks like there's lots of great ways to spice up an applique project by choosing different stitches and designs! Follow the links below to find an applique project created by the Janome team of educators and designers!